Monday, January 31, 2011

Hipsters Driving Hipster Cars

So we're essentially past the climax of the economic meltdown  economic downturn. And, someone (sorry I totes forgot who) just published a report stating that it could have been avoided. Wooowwww! Some serious thinkers we have here. Remember Hummers? Yeah. I do. I rode in my friend's bright yellow Hummer to our 8th grade semi-formal and we blasted Hannah Montana the whole way. It was pretty sweet.

Anywhoo, let's talk about cars. Yes, it's true that personally I would be totally helpless if anything at all went wrong with the family car (which was recalled by Toyota JOY). Stranded on the side of the road, clueless. Change a tire? Yeah. Right. That's why I have AAA. 

But! I can watch car commercials and infer how they've changed with society. Not exactly skills that will help me if I get stranded in the middle of nowhere (like ummmm 95% of NH?), but in terms of hipster credibility, I think I deserve a few brownie points.

CASE # 1: The Ford Explorer meets Jónsi.
First of all, Ford isn't even a hipster brand. VW, maybe. Subaru, sure. But Ford?! I was suprised. And a Ford Explorer? Most hipsters are waaayyy to environmentally friendly for SUV shit like that. 




But I will say that this made me want to go drive to like, Wyoming, and pretend to be really, really Americana.

CASE # 2: Honda meets Vampire Weekend
They were getting really popular anyways. But, still. Just another example of how hipsters are taking over the world.





CASE #3: Okay, no case of hipsters taking over the world. Pretty sure there's another Honda commercial with something totally hipster, but this commercial definitely is the most adorable thing ever. Nooo, I didn't tear up a little. I didn't well up inside. Noo way.



The moral of this blog post?

Hipsters are slowly taking over the world even though most of them live in Brooklyn where monthly parking is probably more expensive than the Macbook Pro I'm typing on. Like they're going to go buy a Ford Explorer.
Try marketing to the suburbanites, Ford. Nice try.

-Natalie


No comments:

Post a Comment